Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Freezing food

Frozen green chilies
This is something that I learned and started doing over the past year. I used to buy cilantro from grocery store and it would go bad in 4-5 days if not used. Same thing with green chilies, they would start to turn black. Now what I do is wash cilantro and leave it on a drying towel for 2-3 hours, then chop it finely, put it in a zip-lock bag and freeze it. It is very convenient to use if you are using it in tadka or for making chutni, I don't think you would want to use this for garnishing. Just two things to keep in mind: don't overfill the zip-lock bag and flat it out before you freeze so that when you want to use it you can break a piece by hand, same idea goes for things listed below.
If you have some fresh veggies in your fridge or garden that you think you can not use right away, this is something that can work.
Following are few things that I frozen:
  1. Whole green chilies
  2. Cilantro
  3. Chopped methi leaves
  4. Basil (I had a lot of fresh basil growing in my backyard in summer which I froze and still using it in soups and pasta dishes)
  5. Peeled garlic cloves
  6. Chopped roccoli stems (these are leftover stems are you cut the florets, I saute florets as a side dish and freeze stems and after I have enough of these I make a dish out of these)
  7. Mint ( again from my vege garden)
  8. Paneer (I cut it and freeze in it individual serving size bags, when required I take it out, put it in a bowl full of water and microwave for 3-4 minutes) 
  9. Chopped green onion
  10. Chopped tomatoes
  11. Chopped potatoes
  12. Chopped broccoli stem 
  13. Chopped bell peppers
And don't forget to put a date on the bag, so that you know how long it has been sitting in your freezer if not regularly used.








No comments:

Post a Comment